Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yo Quiero Un Libro En Espanol, Por Favor

So the kindergarten students participate in this wonderful program called "Love Me, Read To Me" where each day they bring home a book for parents to read and record on a reading log with a goal of 100 books by the time the kindergarten program rolls around in early April.

PrincessGirl was absent one day this week due to illness so today she had the privilege of bringing home two books. One was titled Jessica by Keven Henkes.

The other was titled Vamos a leer sobre...George Washington.

Imagine my surprise as we got all cozy in PrincessGirl's lime green jersey knit sheets surrounded by her favorite stuffed friends and I pulled out a 30 page non-fiction literary treasure about our nation's first president written in Espanol.

That's not even the best part. Here's how the conversation went:

Mommy - PrincessGirl, why did you chose this book in Spanish?
PG - Well we're not really supposed to bring home a book in Spanish unless our parents send a note. But I wanted to read about our first president.
Mommy - Well, I don't think I sent a note requesting el libro Espanol.
PG - We probably shouldn't tell Mrs. Incredible.
Mommy - Oh! If I read you this book in Spanish, we are writing it down!
PG - Well, maybe you can just send a note and then I won't have to be sneaky.
Mommy - I don't think that's gonna happen!

So just in case any of you were wondering, El 30 de abril de 1789 George Washington se convirtio en el primer Presidente de los Estados Unidos.

And if Mrs. Incredible happens to read this, I did record the libro. It is number 97.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love your run-on sentences...always have. And your sister thinks I must talk fast. Whatever!
I also love that PG got out of the library or wherever with that book and no one stopped her! Viva la Mexico!!

Jennifer said...

I love it that she knew it was wrong to take that book but was willing to chance it! She's a leader, indeed.

Janet said...

I think it is a TOTAL shame that the library did not have any other books about our first president that were written in English! There should be NO punishment for her actions - Mrs. Incredible do you copy?

Anonymous said...

QUESTION? DID MOMMY TRANSLATE IN ENGLISH? GREAT STORY!!

COOKIE

American Momma said...

I think its great to learn spanish while learning history! She just wanted to combine her learning...way to go girl.

the Green Librarian said...

I think you ought to consider putting her in the dual language class. I think she has the drive to learn spanish! After all, then she would have access to more books!