Monday, March 10, 2008

Pretty Lights Aren't Just For the Holidays

The day started off when I was running a wee bit late and decided to take my favorite short cut. You all have one - admit it! It's the street that you just know will have very little traffic and NEVER has a patrolman. That's what I was repeating to myself as Karsen inquired from her booster seat in the back of the mini van about why her Hannah Montana music had to stop, why we were stopped and why "that car back there" had "pretty red and blue lights going around and around." I love the way she sees things - so different from my jaded maturity. I don't think I've ever looked behind me to see "pretty" red and blue lights. Mostly I've only seen the ones that make me want to say ugly words.
So I'm a rule enforcer, right! Every day I spend time helping others realize why we have rules, why we should follow rules and what happens if we don't follow them.
That's my job! That's what I do!
(Isn't that a line from a country and western song, Bicknell?)
I "consult" with the students, teachers and parents. I'm very creative. I consider myself a very logical person when it comes to consequences for actions that my have been wrong. I want to achieve the biggest change in behavior with the smallest consequence. But this takes time. And time can never be wasted as school, so I have a red box. It's not an actual box, it is just tape on the floor. Lots can happen in the red box but mostly it is just for exercising. Nothing too strenuous. I'm fairly certain ALL of the students work harder when they play during recess. But exercising in the red box in my office really seems to stink - and I usually get my point across. I'm fairly certain that most kids would rather just get detention or isolated lunch or something and get it over with. But they get the red box. This is not so different from how I was reprimands this very morning. The kind officer with the pretty red and blue lights just gave me a warning. This warning went on FOR EVER! At some point in my head (I'm fairly certain mixed amongst the ugly words) I thought that I'd rather just have the ticket - but I was stuck in that red box! No ticket (we've determined the mini van is impervious to them) but changed behavior, no doubt. Tomorrow I'll look for a different short cut.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Either it was your minivan that kept you from getting a ticket OR maybe you looked really HOT today. Were you wearing that shirt that you borrowed from our friend in the computer class? If you were wearing that shirt, then that's probably why you didn't get a ticket.

Bicknell said...

Yes, Jennifer! That would be found in the lyrics to a Conway Twitty song... enjoy!

I woke up crying late at night
when I was very young.
I had dreamed my father
had passed away and gone.

My world revolved around him
I couldnt lay there anymore.
So I made my way down the mirrored hall
and tapped upon his door.

And I said "Daddy, I'm so afraid
how will I go on with you gone that way?
Don't wanna cry anymore
so may I stay with you?"

And he said "That's my job,
that's what I do.
Everything I do is because of you,
To keep you safe with me.
That's my job you see."

Later we barely got along
this teenage boy and he.
Most of the fights it seems
were over different dreams,
we each held for me.

He wanted knowledge and learning.
I wanted to fly out west.
Said, "I could make it out there
if I just had the fare.
I got half, will you loan me the rest?"

And I said "Daddy, I'm so afraid,
there's no guarantee in the plans
I've made and if I should fail,
who will pay my way back home?"

And he said "That's my job
that's what I do.
Everything I do is because of you
to keep you safe with me.
That's my job you see."

Every person carves his spot
and fills the hole with light.
And I pray someday I might
light as bright as he.

Woke up early one bright fall day
to spread the tragic news.
After all my travel, I settled down
within a mile or two.

I make my living with words and rhyme
and all this tragedy
Should go into my head and out instead
as bits of poetry.

But I say "Daddy, I'm so afraid,
how will I go on with you gone this way?
How can I come up with a song to say
I love you?"

That's my job, That's what I do
Everything I do is because of you
to keep you safe with me.
That's my job you see.
Everything I do is because of you
to keep you safe with me.