Monday, January 5, 2009

How to know if it is "Uummm Uummm Good!"

So today at school, I overheard someone in the main office talking about Chicken~n~Dumplins and I immediately knew what the Salyards family would be having for dinner. You see, my mom makes some of the best Chicken~n~Dumplins I have ever tasted and it is WAY easy. I made her recipe even easier tonight. My mouth was watering as I smelled the pot of delicious bubblin (I'm leavin out the g in ing on purpose cause I type like I think/talk and right now thinkin and typin about the dumplins, I'm thinkin I don't need no g's)on my stove top. I knew it was gonna be good y'all. Read that sentence with your best Paula Deen voice.

Well, we sat down to dinner and Kindergarten PrincessGirl who only takes cheese sandwiches or purchases grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch promptly asked if she could take some of that yummy stuff in her lunch box tomorrow.

That, my friends, is how you know your dumplins are Uummm Uummm Good!

Want to make some for your family? Here's what you do:
Go to SuperTarget.
Get a roasted chicken, some 2-3 cans chicken stock, and 2-3 cans of biscuts.
Go home.
Pour chicken stock in your big soup pot and bring it to a boil.
While it is getting hot, cut your biscuts into quarters.
Drop biscut pieces into the boiling goodness. Biscuts will begin to get puffy.
While this is happening, cut up the chicken (this is where I cheated, Cookie usually boils her chicken or at least chicken breasts.)
Add the chicken to the pot.
Put in some thyme, cracked pepper and a couple of bay leaves.
When it looks good to you, eat it!

Happy New Year, Y'all!

9 comments:

DeAnna said...

Guess what family will be eating Chicken N' Dumplins' tonight. That sounds DELICIOUS and totally do able!

Anonymous said...

This is probably a completely taboo thing for a mere teacher to say to a school administrator, but....
it's chicken STOCK, not stalk like of celery (although a chopped up celery stalk might be good in the dumplins...). And while I'm at it -it's tHyme.
Love ya! Remind me to tell you a funny about Blake and dumplins(not appropriate for blog reading ;)

Jennifer said...

DeAnna - Max will probably come home asking for it since PrincessGirl will have it in her lunch box.

Sara - I appreciate your corrections. Mere teachers are my most favorite kind of people. And as you know, since you pointed it out, I do make mistakes often, ie: the one in SueSue's Christmas card book I made.

DeAnna said...

Savannah and I cooked us up some dumplins, and they were sooooo good. I convinced Max to try it only because the GREAT Karsen partook in the said fare just the night before. Alas, the ploy worked. Unfortunately, the texture of the dumplins were a bit too much for him.....the boy has sensory issues, what can I say? It definitely was easy to make though, and will now be part of the Thomas Family menu. Thanks for sharing on your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a great way to decide what to have for dinner each night. Can't wait for the next idea. Oh yeah, reminder: use butter flavored biscuts for more of a true Paula Dean meal. I can just hear you, in your best Paula Dean voice.
If you fellow-bloggers have not heard Jen's Paula impression, you have not lived.
Cookie

Sarah said...

Some things to mention...
1. I love the new blog picture at the top.
2. I love Sara's corrections
...and funny, I didn't catch them myself. (I used to have a sweatshirt in high school that said, "Bad Spellers of the Word Untie!"). I know, I know, I was so cool.
3. I have never made dumplins and I don't actually know if I've ever eaten them either...so...this may be an interesting meal option for the Upchurches. We just had chili as our cold day meal!
(Read the Fun and Games blog linked through my blogroll to hear someone's adventure with my chili recipe.)


P.S. I spell checked "recipe" just for Sara. Glad I did! I had spelled it "recepie." Stupid Whole Language only instruction.

P.P.S. HAHAHAHAHAHA!! The Word Verification I have to type in right now is MASTERSP!!! You think blogger is trying to be funny with me by calling me a Master Speller?!?! Oh blogger!! You crazy guy!!

Jennifer said...

DeAnna - I'm glad you liked the dumplins. I am sad that we have no more left overs. Maybe if you have some, you can bring me some at school.
Sarah - Thanks for the comment on my new picture. I was ready for a new look. I can totally believe that you had that T-Shirt and suspect you might still have it. You must eat dumplins. And Mr. Blogger, he does know all!

Janet said...

Oh how I would love some dumplins! I have to say that although the food at the RMH was good and plentiful, it was not home cookin! We have had several good meals since coming home - chicken enchiladas, roast, smoked pork tenderloin (neighbor brought us this for dinner), but some good chicken & dumplins, now that would just be great! Glad you found a short cut. AND no corrections on my spelling or grammar please people...I'm running on minimal sleep.:-)

the only female Arnold said...

I made this my children and husband thought it was Uummm Uummm Good too Thanks I owe you one because it was the first time everyone liked something that was so easy!!!!