Monday, April 20, 2009

In these uncertain economic times

Dear Mr./Ms. Manufacturer of Discount Products,

My family is trying to make some cut backs in the household budget and we have decided to try some of your products that you present to the average American consumer as quality choices that are equal to the name brands that we love with a smaller price tag.

We have experienced success with the following products:

We have saved some money and it has been nice.

We have experienced a few problems that I'd like to bring to your attention.

Your discount diapers are a joke. I will admit that I have been a diaper snob for the last six years. I have used the two main national brands buying the one that was on sale at the time. But I avoided your discount diapers because there was no way I was taking a chance with the problems that could come from one of your diapers not living up to your claims of being just as good as the name brand guys.

But in these uncertain economic times, I was willing to take a chance because I like the feeling of the savings and this particular product could mean a savings of about $8 per week.

Know what I got from taking this chance? I got to change the sheet on LittleMan's bed 3 mornings in a row. I got to wash a couple pair of shorts that were, let's just say, "soiled". And the last straw was when I got buy $8 worth of diaper cream for the rash on LittleMan's bottom.

And one thing I know for certain is that even in these uncertain economic times, the one thing I simply can't afford is discount diapers.

So there!

PS - I heard on the radio today that President Obama is calling for his cabinet to shave 100 million dollars from the national budget. I also heard that this would be like a family that makes $100,000 per year saving $3. So for the record, I'm doing my part just by buying the discount waffles and face scrub.

8 comments:

The Robertson Family said...

I am a TOTAL diaper snob!! I am so with you there. Every time Tate has worn a generic brand diaper he has had issues. (well, yes, I know the child is going to have issues anyway because I dress him like bunnies for Easter and mariachi band members for cinco de mayo and lobsters for crawfish boils...) But since I went exclusively to Pampers (I don't even like Huggies diapers, but I like their wipes), I have not had one single issue. It is worth the extra price, if you ask me.

The Robertson Family said...

Oh, and this is, like, the second day in a row that I have posted a comment within a few minutes of you doing a post. I swear I'm not stalking you. Well, unless you count sitting on your blog all day clicking "refresh" over and over again "stalking"...but seriously, it seems like we're online at the same time and I'm just feeling comment-y.

the only female Arnold said...

I AGREE generic diapers are not worth it, Mrs. Herndon gave me some last year and I used two out of the package and I did feel bad but I threw the rest out. Diaper Rash is not worth the savings... My kids love the generic waffles though and the you should try the generic pancakes they really are good!!!!LOL

Anonymous said...

Pampers Baby Dry is the only way to go! We do not like frozen breakfast food (by we, I mean me-the kids and husband will eat anything that won't eat them first!) We like pancakes on the griddle and waffles fresh from the waffle iron. Thank you for the new post! And, actually you are doing more than your share-according to the analogy posted you are saving 3 families worth!

Janet said...

There is nothing wrong with being a diaper snob. In fact, can I admit this on the oh so public internet?, yes I can and will--I exchanged several discount brands of diapers that we received as shower gifts to get the Pampers. Every other brand either instantly reeks of urine (my nose is sensitive to those diaper smells) or becomes rock hard. Neither option is as good as a soft, dry diaper no matter how "full" it is. Those brands are leading national brands for good reason!!!

Sandoval's Blog said...

I have to tell you I am a very big Huggie’s snob. I used them for Kalee and I am using them for Jevin. I have not found any other brand that does a job that there’s. Well with that said I do have to tell you I used the pampers and huggies pull-ups which everones were on sell and I loved them. But one time toward the end of Kalee’s potty training stage I decided to get the HEB brand pull-ups, thinking if I got her a cheep pull-up she would hate them and start using the toilet more. Nope I was wrong! The plan back fired. The HEB pull-ups worked. They stood up to pampers and Huggies. If I would have known that earlier I would have saved LOTS of money buying the HEB brand. Just some thought when Little Man gets to that stage. You should try them. They are GREAT!

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

I am a diaper snob also but have never even tried anything that isn't Pampers or Huggies (we are big fans of the Huggies now).

Unfortunately, I can't switch to some of the brands of other stuff that you recommend b/c I simply can't go to Walmart. I turn into insta-Bitch b/c I just can't handle the atmosphere. It is best for everyone that I stay away. If I did shop and save at Walmart, I would have to put more than double whatever I saved into all of the wine that I would need to buy after a day of shopping there. We'll have to cut corners elsewhere.

pink is the new black said...

Jenn, I totally agree with the diapers except on one front...Costco diapers are just as good...not just as soft, but just as good...I'm with you, Pampers or Huggies, and I'm happy:). As for the generic stuff...we LOVE the frozen waffles...all varieties, we have them at Ms. Kathy's often and they are delish...I'll have to try the Honey Nut Cheerios because my family is a HUGE fan of those:)...I also like the Kroger brand of most things...their waffles are good, as are their diced tomatoes (for homemade spagetti sauce), canned veggies when you're in a pinch and other stuff that I can't remember right now:)