Monday, September 15, 2008

What's Not To Love?

PrincessGirl loves school.

She loves her teacher, Mrs. Incredible.
She loves her friends.
She loves her PE teacher.
She loves to read.
That's right, read.

Having been an elementary school teacher myself, I have tried to convince PrincessGirl that she is a reader for years now. It took Mrs. Incredible 3 weeks to convince her that she is a reader.

On Another Note:

Friday was a special day in Kindergarten. It was the first time the students were allowed to buy ice cream if they had money in their lunch account. It was a special day. I sent money in an envelope for PrincessGirl to put in her lunch account and buy ice cream for the next 20 Fridays. It was a special day. I told her that she would have plenty of money for ice cream days.

Today, I wasn't at school because I had a meeting. It was a different kind of special.

It seems PrincessGirl had a stand off with her Incredible Teacher. See on FRIDAY, I sent money for PrincessGirl's lunch account. On FRIDAYS, Kindergarteners are allowed to buy ice cream if they have money in their lunch accounts. PrincessGirl did not get the concept of FRIDAY. She told her teacher that her mom said she had plenty of money to buy ice cream any time she wanted. She told her teacher that SEVERAL times. Mrs. Incredible had to tell PrincessGirl that, "Mommy is not the boss of lunch!"

PrincessGirl then said "OK" and moved along to eat her "lunch from home" with no ice cream - because, clearly, today is not FRIDAY. And clearly, Mrs. Incredible can tell PrincessGirl things and PrincessGirl listens. And clearly, I love Mrs. Incredible, too!

And finally:

PrincessGirl brought home her first "Love Me, Read to Me" book tonight. The goal is 100 books by mid April. I couldn't help but post this picture of PrincessGirl and LittleMan cuddled up with DaddyMan reading. I love school.



8 comments:

Sarah said...

Is Darryl sporting a moustache? Does he usually have one?

I love it that her teacher told her that you were not the boss of lunch! I also love it that Karsen knows not to argue with that logic.

Jennifer said...

Daryl does currently have some facial hair. I suggested the fake mustaches that I purchased for him in Austin, but he insisted on growing his own.

You would love her teacher!

Rebekah said...

Luke would have argued. And lost.

Anonymous said...

SO right now I am thinkin', "Not the mama"... (Remember the dinosaur show in the 80s????) Not the boss- not the mama. Hmmmm. Next time Sharon wants you to be in the lunchroom-- you have an out!!!

Sarah said...

Shannon Houston!!! I cannot believe you quoted The Dinosaurs show. I taught a little girl two years ago that used to quote that series allllll the time. She'd rent them from NetFlix and watch them over and over and over again.

Janet said...

I love that PG (even though she didn't have her facts straight) wasn't going to let Mrs. Incredible cheat her out of ice cream without a fight! Way to go K, and way to give in just in time!

Anonymous said...

I will need PrincessGirl to read to me ASAP! I sure miss them. Soon she will be reading to LittleMan and he will not even know if she misses a word.

DeAnna said...

Interesting that Mrs. Incredible told Karsen she was "not the boss of lunch." Last night I was told by my own Mrs. Incredible student that I was "not the boss of the homework paper." Apparently, my attempt to help my dear 5 year old with correct writing of the lower-case "m"....with the nifty little flip at the end....totally annoyed him. He informed me that Mrs. Incredible wants him to do his homework "on my own!" Mrs. Incredible is awesome, isn't she?!?!