Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm not a very good cook

Daryl is truly the culinary expert at our house. He has a degree in Resturant, Hotel and Institutional Management. I have a Teaching degree. We should all use our strengths!

I am not a very good cook.
I'm more of a "heater" than a cook.
I am proud of myself for just preparing dinner.

That said, I have recently discovered that if I follow a recipe and use the ideas of others, I CAN cook. So I'm challenging myself to prepare at least one meal per week this summer that I have never tried to cook before. So please help me. Share your best (easy) ideas for delicious meals I can try this summer. I really do WANT this to become more natural to me but I will need some help and probably even some encouragement.

If you see Daryl or the kids, ask them how this challenge is going then tell me what they really think. I need to know and although Karsen and Griffin are usually pretty easy to read, Daryl tends to be very encouraging when I attempt to cook (even if he needs to add LOTS of ketchup).

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love to cook and will gladly help you in this area of your life. One thing my mom did to foster cooking in me (and maybe something you could try), is as early as 3rd grade I had to read a recipe, write the ingrediants on a shopping list, and then prepare that meal for my family. We did this about once a month. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

OK - You and Parker can learn together!! One of our plans for the summer is "cooking lessons" at home. P's big goals are to learn to use the oven and make an omelet. :) We started yesterday with a Betty Crocker cake, which turned out rather crumbly. But he was not discouraged - in true Parker fashion, he analyzed what might have gone wrong and how to fix it next time. Next up is egg salad sandwiches, inspired by his latest favorite book Because of Winn Dixie.
Maybe you can take a field trip over to Garland for some shared cooking time with Parker!! I'll gladly play the great aunt for the day!

Jennifer said...

Sara - I assumed that the Salyards gang would make our traditional summer overnight trip to Garland. And what a joy that I could cook with Parker! I'll think up a good recipe and we can cook it up!
I'm also glad that you are commenting on the blog! What fun!

Janet said...

Jen, I am so excited that you are going to try to learn how to cook! I too think I am more of a heater rather than a cooker. I'll try to send you a recipe or two if I come across them--you know I have easy access to some new ideas from Alan's mom. Do these need to be healthy or can they be Paula Dean style that start out with "a stick of buttah"?