Friday, July 18, 2008

Food for Thought

I may have just perpetuated the problem.

There was a bug - a big bug - and I pride myself on the fact that I can "take care" of a big bug without any help or intervention from the male species.

So, I did what I always do and scooped him up in a tissue and careful not to squeeze him because although I can "take care" of them by myself, I cannot stand to hear or feel them squish. I carried him to the bathroom, lifted the toilet lid cause at the Salyards' house the lid always gets closed, and dropped him in.

As I flushed and watched him journey out of sight, I thought, "What if there is a toilet snake down there that wants nothing more for breakfast than a nice, juicy, unsquished bug?"

I may have to think about the way I choose to "take care" of bugs from now on.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I killed a roach tonight by climbing up on a counter and reaching high on the wall and banginng the guts out of it then flushing it down the toilet. I thought of only you. :c)

Rebekah said...

What did you hit the roach with and when are you hiring an exterminator?

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

While I don't like bugs (ESPECIALLY SPIDERS--I do have to call Aaron to come kill those for me. If I'm alone and it's me vs. the spider, I have to get the vacuum to get him), the thought of them crawling out of the tissue somehow and getting on me is more than I can take. So, I'm a squish it in your hands kind of a gal. Not pretty--but necessary.

Anonymous said...

Snakes - not just for toilets anymore! Check this out.....

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j5O7CGx16T9GGmyWE9ulK33fZ9GgD91VRPT0I

Yikes!!!!!

pink is the new black said...

Yo Jennifer!!! You've been tagged on my blog! Your turn to answer some questions girl...oh yeah, and we'll be at the zoo tomorrow, 10am sharp...be there...also, call Bekah and get my cell phone number and feel free to call and we'll hook up...it won't be weird, promise!

Janet said...

I am a grab it with a tissue and put the tissue on the floor and squish it with your foot kind of girl. I can't stand to squish it with my hands (the sound & feel just do me in) and I certainly can't just throw it into the toilet or trash still alive because those guys can crawl back out. So squish it in a kleenex and be done with it. No mess, no fear of seeing it again.

Jennifer said...

I cannot believe I missed the zoo trip. I told Karsen I'd take her before I go back to work so we could go this coming Monday. Anyone going?

carleh said...

Then there was the time that I screamed on seeing a very big roach. The male species in my house ran and got his shotgun and was all ready to take care of that pesky bug...I've taken care of bugs ever since by squishing them with anything handy and then cleaning up the mess.